S&S Mechanical FAQ's
Our St. George HVAC Technicians Have The Answers
You’re Looking For
At S&S Mechanical Contractors, we are well-equipped to handle any HVAC service, repair, replacement or installation. Also, we offer regular maintenance services to ensure the HVAC system in your home runs smoothly for years to come. If you have questions, do not hesitate to reach out to our highly qualified technicians. We are available around the clock to answer your call and address your concerns.
Troubleshooting AC & Furnace Problems
Many times problems with your A/C or furnace can be answered quickly. These are the questions that we ask over the phone to help you determine if a technician should come out and look at your system. Dependent upon your unique answer, it may be time to schedule an immediate service.
- When was the last time you changed your filter?
- Have you checked the batteries in your thermostat?
- Have you checked your breaker?
How soon can a technician get to my house?
We dispatch as quickly as possible. Getting a technician out to your home can depend upon the season and how many people are ahead of you. To keep your home cool year-round, we recommend scheduling a maintenance visit in the early spring so that we can check your equipment and help detect potential problems. We run specials on these services before the hot summer heat is in full effect.
To get the most for your money we recommend becoming a Comfort Club Member. This membership provides maintenance twice a year, discounts on repairs, and discounts on new systems. If you have a problem that needs immediate attention, we provide 24-hour emergency services throughout Washington County.
What brands of A/C or furnace do you work on?
We work on all brands of A/C, furnace, and heat pumps. Our technicians are highly trained and certified.
Do you offer financing?
We offer financing through Wells Fargo, with special financing plans to fit your budget. Visit our Finance page to apply quickly and see what you qualify for.
Do you provide a warranty?
We offer a 10-year parts and labor warranty for qualifying products.
Do you have any coupons or specials?
We offer coupons and specials several times per year via email, direct mail, website, phone book and on the radio.
How can I get a discount on my service today?
Visit our website to view current specials or join our Comfort Club to get the best bang for your buck. You may also find a coupon in “The Phone Book.”
Do you provide a veteran’s discount?
We offer a 5% veteran’s discount. Tell your technician at invoicing time.
Why should we choose S&S Mechanical Contractors?
S&S Mechanical Contractors has been serving customers throughout St. George and the surrounding areas for over 35 years. We are a locally owned business and take pride in Southern Utah. Our technicians go through ongoing training on the latest industry changes to bring you the best service possible. Our pricing structure is menu pricing so that each person gets the same fair deal and we are not commission based with high-pressure sales people.
We provide free estimates for our services and will clearly explain any work that needs to be done with no surprise add-on charges at invoicing time.
How long should an air conditioner last?
With normal use and annual maintenance, you can expect 15 to 20 years of service life.
Do you come out and change furnace filters?
We offer filter services for customers as often as each month and as little as once per year.
Do you work on heat pumps?
Yes, we work on heat pumps regularly and are fully trained in heat pump services.
How much does a new HVAC system cost?
New HVAC systems can be installed for as little as $88.00 per month. Our technicians will test your home and calculate what type of system is best for your building. We install Trane products because they are reliable and quality made. Trane does provide excellent rebates and specials on new systems. Visit our specials page to see the current special. There is also financing available to those who qualify.
How long do HVAC systems tend to last?
How long a HVAC system lasts is directly dependent on how well you maintain the upkeep of your unit. If you have the recommended preventive maintenance and service of your HVAC system performed throughout the lifespan of your system, a homeowner can generally expect their HVAC system to last anywhere from 15-20 years. Please see below for more specific details on the average lifespan of various HVAC systems:
- Heat Pumps: Average of 11-13 years
- Air Conditioning Units: Average of 11-13 years
- Furnaces: Average of 18-20 years
- Tankless Water Heaters: Average of 20 years
- Electric or Gas Water Heaters: Average of 10 years
- Thermostats: Average of 15 years (however with the evolution of modern technology, it is recommended to update your thermostat sooner)
How often should I change my filters?
There are three main types of HVAC air filters: 1" Standard Air Filter, 4" Media Filter and Electronic Air Cleaners (EAC). Please see below for how frequently we recommend you change each of these filters:
- 1" Standard Air Filter: It is recommended that you check these air filters at least once a month
- 4" Media Filter: It is recommended that you change these air filters every six months- (1) time at the beginning of the air conditioning season and (1) time at the beginning of the heat season
- Electronic Air Cleaner (EAC): It is recommended that you have an EAC cleaned four times a year- (1) time at the beginning of each season
How can I save money on my energy costs?
There are several ways to save money on your energy costs. Our top recommendations are as follows:
- Consider upgrading your HVAC system to a high-efficiency unit
- Install a programmable thermostat and make sure it is programmed correctly to adjust temperatures throughout the day and week.
- Change your air filters on a regular schedule
- Have annual maintenance performed on your HVAC system twice a year- (1) time at the beginning of the air conditioning season and (1) time at the beginning of the heat season
- Make sure all vents are not blocked or obstructed by debris or furniture
- Install ceiling fans to help move the air around within a room
Does a larger HVAC system offer better performance?
The answer to this question is simple: No! If you get a system that is too large, the HVAC system will heat or cool your home faster than an adequate sized system; however, it will operate in short cycles which causes the system to start and stop more frequently which results in a higher energy bill. On the other hand, if a system is too small, it will run continuously to try attaining the desired temperature which ultimately will also result in a higher energy bill. Overall, the best sized HVAC system for your home is based on your house's square footage so that it can heat and cool your house without overworking your system.
Still have questions?
Our helpful and friendly team are waiting for your call. Once you contact us about needed repairs, our technicians will arrive in easily identifiable, marked vans to provide the professional service you require. Also, ask about Gold Comfort Club membership. With that, you pay no after hour rates!